This article describes how to report onVMware vCloud consumption with Exivity
When deploying the vCloud Extractor template for Exivity, some input and configurations are required from your vCloud environment. The following process must be completed in order to report on vCloud consumption:
- 1.Create Exivity vCloud user (vCloud < 9.1)
- 2.Create Exivity vCloud user (vCloud >= 9.1)
- 3.Configure an Extractor
- 4.Configure a Transformer
- 5.Create your Report
For environments with a vCloud previous to 9.1 Exivity needs a user with the sysadmin role on the system ORG. Please follow this procedure:
- Click the Administration tab and click Users in the left panel.
- Click New, fill in the required details.
- Note the username and password.
- Finally, click OK.
For environments with vCloud version 9.1 or higher, you can create a user with more fine-grained permissions. Exivity needs a user with a reader role on the system ORG. Please follow this procedure:
First you will need to create a new custom role for the Exivity user:
- From the main menu, select Administration.
- In the left panel, under Access Control, click Roles
- Click New.
- Enter a name and, optionally, a description for the new role.
- Select the rights that you want to associate with the role. Exivity needs all the View Rights in the different tabs and also Perform Administrator Queries under the General tab.
- Click Save.
Once you have the Role created, you need to set up a new user and assign the Role previously created:
- On the VMware Cloud Service toolbar, click the VMware Cloud Services icon and select Identity & Access Management.
- Click Add Users.
- On the Active Users tab, fill in the details of the user you want to add to the system organization.
- In the Role in organization text box, assign the role previously created.
To create the Extractor, browse to Data Sources > Extractors in the Exivity GUI and click the Create Extractor button. This will try to connect to the Exivity Github account to obtain a list of available templates. For vCloud:
- Pick vCloud_Extractor_AdminVM from the list
- Provide a name for the Extractor in the name field
- Click the Create button.
Once you've created the Extractor, next go to the Variables tab:
Fill in all required variables with the values that you gathered in the previous step. You have the option to encrypt them. Click on Update.
Once you've filled in all details, go to the Run tab to execute the Extractor clicking on Run Now:
Once you have successfully run your vCloud Extractor, you can create a Transformer template via Data Sources > Transformers in the Exivity GUI. Browse to this location and click the Create Transformer button. Make any changes that you feel necessary and then select the run tab to execute it for a single day (today) as a test.
Once you have run both your Extractor and Transformer successfully create a Report Definition via the menu option Reports > Definitions.
Select your vCloud dataset, and your preferred Reporting Columns to break down the report (we recommend only Org_name and VDC for the default report). When you are ready, click on Create.
Once you have created the report, you should then click the Prepare Report button after first making sure you have selected a valid date range from the date selector shown when preparing the report.